Friday, August 15, 2008

I lay in bed last night thinking about my day yesterday. It wasn't a typical day because of all the special things going on around here this week, but it was not an unusual day because sometimes our life is filled with interruptions and we have learned to flow with that.

It started out typical. I got up at 2:30 a.m., but since the papers had not left the dock I cleaned the kitchen instead. I packed the General's lunch. At 3:00 a.m. I woke up Capt. Kitty and she went me to deliver the papers. We made it home before the General left for work and I got to tell him good-bye. Then I laid down for a nap. I didn't sleep well the night before because I stayed up watching a movie with the children.

My alarm went off again at 9 a.m. and I found the birthday boy waiting for me. We spent some time together and then I went to work on paper work and computer work. While on the computer my sister called and I had to locate our parents, because they were not at home when she called them. I found them and told them the news.

After I got off the phone I made pancakes and put dark chocolate chips in them as a surprise for lunch. The birthday boy loved it! Capt. Kitty didn't mind either. Our eldest wasn't up yet. I left him alone because he goes back to school in a couple of days and there will be no sleeping in then. After lunch I watched a movie we had rented with the children and then the eldest and I went shopping. We went for him to pick up a few items he still needed to go back to college and to pick up a few items for the birthday boy and for our trip to the lake today. Of course we picked up the cake, I don't know how to make ice cream cake.

It was so bitter sweet to see our eldest pay for the things he needed with money he earned working. I watched him make choices in clothing items that up until now I had always picked out and purchased. It's good to see him mature and take responsibility, but on the day my youngest turned 11 I guess I felt weepy. I have no more babies.

We called the General on the way home and had him take the birthday boy down stairs as we set up the cake and presents. Then we all sung "Happy Birthday," and brought him into the room. He opened presents. We were going to make chicken for supper, but the General decided this deserved a treat and he ordered pizza. We saved the cake until later.

I made it to bed at 7:30, but the cat kept coming and getting into things in our room so it was more like 8:00 before I got to sleep. Not much housework or such done, but lots of time was spent with the ones I love.

No comments: