Tuesday, July 03, 2007

I have completed the purple formal dress. I will be delivering it today. It took a lot longer than I expected. The adjustments I made to the shoulder and back seem to affect every other area of the dress. I have ripped many seams out and redid them in this dress. I also finished both my skirts that I found the tops to match. The material was a little thin for my taste so I lined both the skirts. I choose to line them with bleached muslin. My reasoning was that I wanted to wear them mostly this summer and the muslin would not be as hot or stick to me as much as the silky lining material. I wore the green outfit yesterday when we took Lt. Col. Cool to VMI for the STP program. We did a lot of walking and it was warm (not as hot as usual) and it was very comfortable and worked well. Over the weekend I got a call of a desperate lady whose daughter was singing at Niagra Falls, N.Y. over the holidays with a local college children's choir. Her daughter had grown and her dress was too tight in the bust. They could not order new dresses until September so she wanted to know if there was anything I could do. The dress was made almost identical to the purple one pictured. The only problem was it was made out of velvet in the bodice. Since it was going to leave a mark from letting out the seams I let it out in the back and side seams. I tried to search the internet and see if there was a way to got the mark out of velvet, but I had no luck. It gave it enough to hopefully get her through the next three concerts before she could order a new dress. I am off to more sewing.

Sew Long for Now!

1 comment:

linda said...

Yay! The dress is finished! It looks nice, and difficult! Such pretty fabric, too.

Sounds like you did well on the velvet. I've never worked with it, but hopefully no one will notice any marks on the side and back.

Happy 4th!