I have also been making hotpads to go with my dishtowels.
After years of use mine seem to have worn out.
Thanks to my friend Linda's advice I picked a lovely burnt orange fabric to use as the sashing with the blocks I made. Now to just work on it. I finished up 20 clover pins for the nursing home party late Saturday night. I had to give them to coordinator Sunday morning. Sewwwww, I forgot to take a picture of them. I could kick myself because they were so cute. I used a Criswell charm design for a clover I had and did 20 free standing embroidered charms. Then I tacked them on white felt that I had cut in the same shape a little bigger then the charm. Next I cut green felt to match the color thread I used a little bigger than the white felt still in the same outline. I hot glued the green felt on and then put a pin back on each one and put them on card stock with Happy St. Patrick's Day written on it. Now I need to start thinking about April's party.
I have also been working on dishtowels. I dislike fluffy dishtowels, they leave lint. I saw on Amanda Jean's blog how she found some waffle muslim and put binding on it. When I was in JoAnn's the other day I picked up 2 yards of waffle muslin. I began dividing it and cutting it to decide what size I thought would be good for a dishtowel. I also have a couple of the feedsack ones and they are just too big. I finally decided on 18 1/2 inches by 13 inches. With this size I got 16 towels out of the 2 yards. I have loads of premade binding that a lady gave me last fall. I went through it and found some cute binding with a floral pattern and some with dots. I covered the raw edges with binding on all the towels. I think I will add a little to something more to them. I was thinking maybe a row of pieced blocks across the bottom.
Sew Long for Now
What crazy week. The last time I posted we had just had 6 inches of snow, then the last couple of days the temps have been in the 70's. That would explain why I am suffering a terrible head cold. I have been sewing some though. I have completed ten of the block above. I haven't decided what color I want to use as the connecting strips yet. I have went through my stash and not found a thing I like. Sew it's off to the fabric store one day soon to find something. I have also been working on making dishtowels. I will post some of them in the future.
On a sad note, our bees did good all winter and then we lost them this past weekend. We have ordered a new queen and nucs to start again. Since this was our first year we feel this is all part of the learning process. Hopefully in a week or so the new bees will arrive and we can get them settled.
Sew Long for Now!
Our first snow of the season! Can you see the cardinals in our bush? I tried so hard to capture their picture today when they were at the feeder, but they are a little shy and kept skipping away when I went on the porch.
I love to watch it snow. March is coming in like a lion, so it should leave like a lamb...right?
Here are some of the other tissue holders I finished over the weekend. I did a total of 20. I decided to do a pin with a clover for some of the other door prizes. I also spent some time this evening cutting out blocks to start either a new table runner or a wall hanging. I will post a picture of it as soon as I get the first block finished.
Our daughter and our oldest son away at college have had the flu this week. She spent most of the week in bed. Since he goes to a military institute he didn't have that luxury. He ended up in the post hospital for a day at the end of the week. They had what they are calling type A. The general went up to school and picked him up yesterday and brought him home for some rest. He seemed much better when the general took him back today.
I have been spraying the house with Lysol to try to kill the germs and keep the rest of us from being sick.
Sew Long for Now!